Polar diagram contour plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34546] Polar diagram contour plots?
  • From: heimann at ism.tu-berlin.de (Justus Heimann)
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 01:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi to you All,

I wonder if it is possible to plot polar diagrams as 3D and contour
plots within Mathematica 4.0.

Imagine we have a list of discrete points given along radian cuts in
the polar plane. In my case this is a plain Ascii data table generated
by a different code. In Mathematica form this would look like, e.g.

foo = Table[Random[], {alpha, 0., 2.*Pi, dalpha}, {r, 0., rmax, dr}];

These data now can easily be transformed between polar and cartesian
form, like

cartesian -> polar:
-------------------
r = (x^2 + y^2)^(1/2)
alpha = Arctan[y/x]

polar -> cartesian:
-------------------
x = r Cos[alpha]
y = r Sin[alpha]

What I desire is a 3d graph like ListPlot3D[] and 2d contour plots
like ListContourPlot[] or ListDensityPlot[] would generate. But not on
a cartesian grid but on a polar grid. The contour plots should show a
legend, favourable the colour scale, in addition.

Unfortunately, I can't find any Mathematica function to do the job
like expected. Does anyone know a workaround ? Any help is very much
desired.

Many thanks
Justus