How write or Export a Cell holding a Matrix in //MatrixForm format to an external File

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34619] How write or Export a Cell holding a Matrix in //MatrixForm format to an external File
  • From: TerryH <tharter at attglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 02:47:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All:
     I have a calculated 3-dimensional matrix (mostly numbers and one
variable) that is 22 by 7 by 3 which
I can get to display nicely within a cell using   //MatrixForm.  How can
I get this matrix written to an external
file, keeping all of the nice parentheses that //MatrixForm provides?
I've tried using Export with "Table" format,
but because I need to add some text strings before and after the matrix,
this doesn't work.  I've tried using
"PDF" format, since I need others who don't have Mathematica to be able
to read the result.  I've also tried using a ToBoxes[matrixname] command
along with Export to a "GIF" format (which Acrobat Reader can read), but

only get 1 page and then only the  first 2 columns.  I've also tried
Display[filename,ToBoxes[matrixname],"GIF"]  ,
but this didn't work either.   Is there an "ExportAppend" command, that
would help in exporting different data types to the
external file?

    I'm sure there is some way to put the Mathematica formulated output
into a file, readable by others who don't
have Mathematica.  Could someone please point me in the right
direction/combination?  Thanks in advance.
.....Terry