RE: Can Mathematica use 2 CPU?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34634] RE: [mg34614] Can Mathematica use 2 CPU?
  • From: "Annetts, Dave (E&M, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at csiro.au>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 02:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Vladimir,

> I'm trying to solve a not easy computational problem, and my
> current Athlon FX 1600+ /512 Mb machine looks rather sluggishly
> working on these algorithms.
>
> If I would have a 2 CPU machine, could Mathematica use both of
> CPU (efficiently enough ;-)?
>
> What is the lowest Mathematica version which can use efficiently
> enough 2 CPUs?
>
> Many thanks in advance.

The short answer is no, it does not use both CPU's of a dual CPU machine.

The slightly longer answer is that this is explained in a FAQ at
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/allplatforms/multipleprocesso
rs.html.

For me, dual CPUs mean that I typically have a CPU intensive app on one CPU,
and other apps use the remaining one.  When both CPUs are loaded, ie
multiple F95 apps and Mathematica, the system is much more responsive than a
single CPU.

Efficient use of the CPU is very dependent on the OS.  I base above comments
on W2K.  I can't vouch for dual CPU performance under Linux because I don't
run the same mix of apps, and in any case, I have different amounts of RAM
on my dual Xeon 866 W2K and Linux boxes.

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts             EM Modelling Analyst
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416         CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467         David.Annetts at csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"