Kendall's Rank Correlation Coefficient

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34685] Kendall's Rank Correlation Coefficient
  • From: "Aaron E. Hirsh" <aehirsh at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 04:30:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've noticed that mathematica's calculation of Kendall's Rank
Correlation Coefficient becomes unworkably inefficient as sample size
grows. Spearman's Rank Correlation, by contrast, causes no problems.
I've written a short mathematica program to calculate Kendall's
coefficient, and it seems to be much faster than the built-in
mathematica function. Does anyone know what the built-in function is
doing that's taking so long?
--

Aaron E. Hirsh
Center for Computational Genetics and Biological Modeling