Re: Rember Palette Position

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37534] Re: [mg37472] Rember Palette Position
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:43:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:42:42 -0500 (EST), Timothy Klein wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This is a minor, but annoying, problem.  I would like to have the 3
>palettes that I use come up in the same screen location each time I
>start the Front End.  I run Mathematica 4.1 under X, with Linux.  Is
>there any way to specify this behavior?
>
>I have read through the entire help section for Front End
>preferences, and couldn't find anything.  Wondered if anyone knew
>how to do it, or knew that it was indeed impossible.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim
>
>PS -> Some X window managers can do this automatically, without
>Mathematica even knowing about it, but I am running KDE, and it does
>not seem to be able to do so for a non-KDE application such as
>Mathematica.  A KDE hack would be welcome, too, if anyone happened
>to know how.

Mathematica does, in fact, attempt to remember the palette positions.  It
does this by re-saving the palettes (*) when you close them or quit
Mathematica (the window position information is stored in the notebook
file backing the palette).  However, it will refuse to re-save (failing
silently instead) if you don't have permissions to write to the file,
which is a reasonably likely scenario under Linux.

A quick fix to the problem would be to simply change the permissions on
the palette files.  You can find the file in the installation directory in
SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Palettes.  You could restore read-only privileges to
the files after you've adjusted them, if you like.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

(*) And to answer the next obvious question, yes a per-user system would
obviously be better; I'm sure this issue will be addressed in the future,
although I cannot make any promises as to when.