indeterminate expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37586] indeterminate expression
  • From: "MH" <petronius at myrealbox.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 05:04:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, as part of a long combinatoric code, I need to calculate lots of p^n
values.  The problem arises when p=n=0.  Such an expression is indeterminate
obviously, but since it is part of a probability calculation, the
probability that something with 0 probability occuring 0 times is 1.  Is
there a rule that I can specify that would allow me to replace this
indeterminate express with the answer that I want?  I could go back and
change every instance where this pops up with a function or take the limit,
but I wanted to check if there was a more efficient method.

Thanks,