Re: How to read mixed-type data from external files?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37733] Re: How to read mixed-type data from external files?
  • From: wfhsiao at libra.seed.net.tw (Wen-Feng Hsiao)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 05:38:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for all your helps.

I am using Mathematica 4.0. It might not support Import function,
since the expression you proposed to me cannot work.

In[2]:=
Import["data.csv"]

Import::guess: Could not guess format from channel data.csv.

Out[2]=
Import["data.csv"]

In[3]:=
Import["data.csv", "CSV"]

Import::format: "CSV" is not a recognized Import format.

Out[3]=
Import["data.csv", "CSV"]

Fortunately, Sseziwa's method works fine to me.

{ToExpression[#[[1]]],#[[2]],Sequence@@Table[ToExpression[#[[i]]],{i,3,8
}]}&/
@ReadList[strm,Word,WordSeparators\[Rule]{","},RecordLists\[Rule]True]

Wen-Feng Hsiao