Idempotence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37748] Idempotence
  • From: "Tilo Schröder" <tilo.schroeder at unibw-muenchen.de>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:10:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I'm quite new in operating with Mathematica. Solving a problem concerning
network reliability I have to implement an algorithm which uses idempotence
(e.g.: a*a=a, a^2*b^3=ab).
As a result of this fact, the following lists should be the same:

list1={b+a c-a b c,c,1}
list2={2 b+2 a c-a b c-a c (b+a c-a b c)-b (b+2 a c-a b c-a c (b+a c-a b
c)),c,1}

The result of "list1===list2" should be true.

Does anybody have a hint or an idea how to solve it with Mathematica? I
couldn't find anything about it even on Wolfram's webpage.

Thank you in advance.

Tilo.