Re: FindRoot and Inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37756] Re: [mg37710] FindRoot and Inequalities
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:10:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you have Mathematica 4.2 and time constraints are
not too severe (i.e. the system contains not too many
equations and variables), simply reformulate the root
finding problem as a maximization problem and use
NMinimize. The reformulation is simple: just minimize
the constant function 1 subject to your equality and
inequality constraints.

Best regards,
	Johannes

On 9 Nov 2002 at 0:29, George Thiel wrote:

> Hi All
> I'm trying to solve a system of nonlinear algebraic equations.
> I was hoping to use the FindRoot.  However,  some
> of the variables for which I'm solving must satisfy some
> inequalities.   Is there an easy way to impose these constraints
> in the solution?
>
> Thanks in advance
> George
> (KthielK at us.ibm.com)