Re: Pacakges that need packages that need packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37792] Re: Pacakges that need packages that need packages
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:11:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

If you give Angela a key to your house and Angela gives me a key to her
house, then do I necessarily get a key to your house?  No, says Mathematica,
friendship is not transitive.  Certain statistics packages, as I recall, run
afoul of this principle, forcing the user to invoke an additional package.

You can manipulate the $ContextPath to suit your wishes. You could define
variants of BeginPackage and EndPackage that accumulate cited packages and,
in effect, make friendship transitive.

Tom Burton