Polynomials modulo p

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37816] Polynomials modulo p
  • From: porponnuk at menta.net (Enric Meinhardt Llopis)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:13:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, I'm starting to use Mathematica 4.0 to work on polynomials.

I'm having some problems with the package "PolynomialExtendedGCD"
(version 1.1), as it seems to fail on some inputs.  Being unable to
contact Matthew Markert, the author of the package, I write to this
list asking for advice.

It does not seem difficult to implement this function, but before
doing so I would like to know if anybody has had this problem before,
and how did she solve it.

Or maybe I'm just doing something fundamentally wrong...

A piece of code that shows unexpected behaviour follows:

<< Algebra`PolynomialExtendedGCD`
p := 11
d = 2 + X + X^2
a = Expand[d * (10 + X),Modulus->p]
b = d * X
PolynomialExtendedGCD[a,b,Modulus->p]

It issues an error trying to calculate a negative power of zero. I
would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the bad english).
Enric Meinhardt Llopis