RE: plotting against a variable

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37849] RE: [mg37838] plotting against a variable
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:35:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Urijah,

To make a plot P needs a value. But you can do something like the
following...

With[{P = 1},
    Plot[Sin[x/P], {x, 0, 10P},
      Frame -> True,
      FrameLabel -> {x, f[x]},
      FrameTicks -> {Table[{x, x "P"}, {x, 0, 10P, 2P}], Automatic, None,
          None},
      ImageSize -> 450]];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Urijah Kaplan [mailto:uak at sas.upenn.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I looked all over the Mathematica documentation, and I haven't found an
answer...I would like to know how to make a plot, for example Sin[x/P] such
that the x axis, instead of ranging from say, 0 to 10, ranges from 0 to 10
P,
with the tick marks on the axis showing that. I mainly want to use this
technique to find the zeroes of complicated transcendental functions that
Mathematica can't solve explicitly in terms of another variable. Thank you
very much.

                           --Urijah Kaplan