Re: Loosing "Del"-key after upgrading to KDE 3.0.4 (SuSE 8.0)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37920] Re: [mg37911] Loosing "Del"-key after upgrading to KDE 3.0.4 (SuSE 8.0)?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:58:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Johan wrote:

> After I upgraded to KDE 3.0.4 I lost the delete key.  In mathematica it
> seems to have become mapped to some arbitrary unprintable character.

Check to see if your NumLock key is turned on.  If it is, turn it off.
You are running into an issue that is addressed in the Technical Support
FAQ, but you are seeing a different symptom.

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/interface/cursor.html

> (When starting up Mathematica I also get the error
>
> "The Mathematica fonts are not properly installed in your system..."
>
> However the fonts seems to work as expected anyway.

This is a benign warning message that is being triggered falsely.  There
is an FAQ page on how to fix this problem as well.

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/unix/interface/fonterrors.html

Specifically, follow Steps 4 and 5 of this page.

Since you are using KDE, there is a good chance that the KDE clipboard
history program Klipper is running.  If it is, you will see an icon that
looks like a clipboard emblazoned with the letter K.  Right-click on this
icon and then click on Quit from the resulting pop-up menu.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.