Re: contour plot from a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37935] Re: contour plot from a list
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:09:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

On 11/19/02 6:06 PM, in article areqmq$190$1 at smc.vnet.net, "Nadia
Elghobashi" <nadiae at chemie.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I have data of the form {x,y,z} which I would like to plot as a contour
> plot. I have read in the data as:
>
> t=ReadList["file",Number,RecordLists->True];
>
> and would now like to make a simple contour plot of the z values on my
> regularly spaced grid.

It says in the on-line help that ListContourPlot accepts an array of z
values only. So you need to specify the ranges of x and y separately as the
MeshRange option. Given, for example, the following result of ReadList,

t = Flatten[
  Table[{x, y, x x + y y}, {x, 2, 40, 2}, {y, 3, 30, 3}],
  1]

here is one way to do this:

ts = Split[t,First[#1]==First[#2]&]

mr = {