RE: How to do ListPlot with absolute point size?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37932] RE: [mg37931] How to do ListPlot with absolute point size?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:09:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kirk,

ListPlot is often more a hinderance than a help. You can just map Point onto
your list of points.

Module[{d = Table[{i, Random[Real, {0, 10}]}, {i, 2000}]},
  Scan[
    Show[Graphics[
          {AbsolutePointSize[3],
            Point /@ d}],
        Axes -> True,
         ImageSize -> {#1, #1}] &,
  {1000, 500, 250, 125}]]

There is a problem with axes tick labeling with the smallest size.

The following scales everything except the axes styles with ImageSize.

Module[{d = Table[{i, Random[Real, {0, 10}]}, {i, 2000}]},
  Scan[
    Show[Graphics[
          {PointSize[0.01],
            Point /@ d}],
        Axes -> True,
         ImageSize -> {#1, #1},
        TextStyle -> {FontSize -> Round[#1/20]}] &,
  {1000, 500, 250, 125}]]

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Kirk Reinholtz [mailto:kirk.reinholtz at jpl.nasa.gov]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I wish to display a given graphic via ListPlot at various scales, in a
way such that the points and such stay the same absolute size.  The
following shows (at least on my wintel nt4) that the axis labels and
lines stay the same absolute size, but the points vary according to the
ImageSize.  I'd like everything to stay the same size, just get more
spread out.  For bonus points, I'd like to know how to make everything
scale by ImageSize, as well.

I'm aware of AbsolutePointSize[], but don't see how to get that into
ListPlot.

<< Graphics`Graphics`
Module[{d = Table[{i, Random[Real, {0, 10}]}, {i, 2000}]},
  Scan[
    ListPlot[d, ImageSize -> {#1, #1}] &,
  {1000, 500, 250, 125}]]

Thanks in advance!