Re: Re: Difference between fonts in Mathematica 4.1 and 4.2?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37962] Re: [mg37951] Re: [mg37939] Difference between fonts in Mathematica 4.1 and 4.2?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murraye at>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 04:16:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In order to get native rendering of MathML in Mozilla (and, I presume,
in Netscape 7), one is supposed to download the fonts Math1, etc., from
the Wolfram site (according to the link on the site).

Does that imply that, for purposes of web-viewing MathML pages, one
CANNOT yet dispense with those old Math1, etc., fonts even if one has
installed the new Mathematica1, etc., fonts from Mathematica 4.2?

John Fultz wrote:
> All of the old Math1-5 glyph mappings are precisely the same in
> Mathematica1-5 except for the double-struck and gothic characters (e.g.
> \[DoubleStruckA], \[GothicA]).  The gothics moved into Mathematica6, and
> the double-strucks moved into Mathematica7.
> We needed to add fonts because the existing ones were running out of room.
>  It made sense for these alphabetical sets to have mappings in fonts which
> mapped the alphanumeric glyphs to the expected positions, instead of
> having the alphanumeric glyphs sitting in oddball locations in Math5 like
> they were before (the script letters/numbers currently occupy the
> alphanumeric positions in Math5/Mathematica5)..
> In fact, much of Mathematica 5 is not presently different from the old
> Math5.  If you look at the font, you'll still see many (but not all)
> double-strucks and gothics in it, but this will change in the future, and
> anything generated with 4.2 or later will always reference the
> Mathematica6/7 locations of these glyphs.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
710 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01375