rightTree[tree[_, _, right_]] := right Hu?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37993] rightTree[tree[_, _, right_]] := right Hu?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:56:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I found this:
rightTree[tree[_, _, right_]] := right

in Dr. Mäder's Computer Science with Mathematica.  I understand the spirit of
the statement, but it looks rather strange to me.  Is there a way of
describing, in a language such as English, exactly what this definition
means? The part that I find confusing is the inclusion of what looks like a
function call in the parameter list.  This simply defies my sense of how
programming languages work.  That doesn't mean it's a bad thing.  It just
means that I don't feel comfortable with the syntax.

Is there somewhere in the Mathematica Book , or Help which discusses such
arcana?

--
STH
Hatton's Law: