Re: Number of cyclic subgroups of order 15 in Z_90 (+) Z_36

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38002] Re: Number of cyclic subgroups of order 15 in Z_90 (+) Z_36
  • From: "Diana" <diana53xiii at earthlink.remove13.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:56:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej,

Thanks for your help with this question!

Two questions:

1. If I want to print out the elements of S which have order 15, do I use a
nested If or Do loop?

2. I have just ordered the Mathematica Link to EXCEL package. I will use it
to print out the Cayley Table you e-mailed for A_5. I have not been able to
find a way to get all of the output of the table to print on Mathematica. I
have tried page wrap of various sorts. Is there a way?

Thanks for your time, you have made my Abstract Algebra experience so much
more fun.

Diana

"Diana" <diana53xiii at earthlink.remove13.net> wrote in message
news:arp6l1$1rg$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Mathematica groupies,
>
> I just got my copy of Mathematica tonight. I understand permutations of
S_5
> and A_5, etc., but I am having a little difficulty figuring out how to
> calculate the order of elements of Z_90 and Z_36, and the order of
elements
> of the external direct product of Z_90 (+) Z_36.
>
> I am wanting to calculate the number of cyclic subgroups of order 15 in
Z_90