Re: Linux Users?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg36928] Re: Linux Users?
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kmccann at>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 03:32:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The FrameLabel for plots is "messed up" for the y-axis under Linux. In
particular, the y-axis label is typically rotated by 90deg so that it reads
up the y-axis. This works fine on macs and windoze, but under linux the
label runs up the y-axis; however, the letters are rotated so that they are
the same orientation as that for the x-axis. Printouts of the NB are fine,
but it looks really stupid when using a video projector to teach or give a
talk. I have mentioned this before, and the stock answer is that "... it is
a problem with X-windows...", perhaps, but it is also a real problem with
Mathematica. I personally don't care why the label looks peculiar, just that
it does and that there is no easy workaround.

Kevin J. McCann
Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology (JCET)
Department of Physics
Baltimore MD 21250

news:an8t97$72l$1 at