Successive Approximation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37081] Successive Approximation
  • From: "Flurchick, Kenneth M" <FLURCHICKK at MAIL.ECU.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 05:25:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

GentleBeings
I have a straightforward implementation of successive approximations
but I cannot seem to froce the code to find the correct solution when I have

trig or exponentials involved.  Can the assembled wisdom point to
straghtforward fixes I know FindRoot works the object is to teach
programming and successive approx, tho.

Thanks
kenf

Below is the code

Clear[f, g, gi, lim, r, rr, fr, \ gir, a, b, c, d, conv];
  Plot[{x * ((x + 3)), 10*Sin[x]}, {x, 0.01, 2.4},
    PlotStyle -> {{RGBColor[1, 0, 0], Thickness[ .006]},
                  {RGBColor[0, 0, 1], Thickness[ .006]}}
  ];
  rr = FindRoot[x * ((x + 3)) == 10*Sin[x], {x, 2, 0.01, 2.4}];
  f[a_] := a * ((a + 3)) /; a >  0;
  g[b_] := 10. * Sin[b] /; b > 0;
  gi[c_] := ArcSin[0.1*c] /; c > 0;
  Print["Actual root is ", rr];
  lim = 10;
  r = 2.0;
  conv = 10^-4;
  For[i = 1, i < lim, i++,
    {
      fr = f[r];
      gir = gi[fr];
      d = Abs[N[gir] - r]; i
      If[d < conv, Break[]];
      r = gir;
      Print["The value of x = ", r, " found after ", i, " iterations,",
            " with a tolerence ", d, "\n"]
    }
  ]
  Print["The value of x = ", r, " found after ",  i, " iterations,",
        " with a tolerence ", d, "\n"]

"Every man, woman and responsible child has an unalienable individual,
civil, Constitutional and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or
concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machine gun, anything --
any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission."
                                                           L. Neil Smith