Function vs. Procedure

Is there a logically fundamental difference between functional and
procedural programming?  What I mean to ask is, can we do exactly the same
thing with purely functional approaches as we can with purely procedural
approaches?

Is this basically the recursive verses iterative distinction?

Why would one chose one approach over the other?

STH