Phase Portraits

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37104] Phase Portraits
  • From: Jason Miller <millerj at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:20:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear MathGroup Experts,

Is there a slick way to use Mathematica to plot the phase portrait of
a pair of (straightforward) differential equations?  I'd also like to
see a plot of the associated vector/direction field.  I found a good
package called DynPac, but it's very cumbersome to use, and I was
hoping there's another tool out there that my students would feel
more comfortable using.

Thanks for whatever information you can share.

Jason Miller, Ph.D.
Division of Mathematics and Computer Science
Truman State University
100 East Normal St.
Kirksville, MO  63501