how to avoid this evaluation?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg37329] how to avoid this evaluation?
- From: arrayan137 at yahoo.com (elcofres)
- Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 02:57:33 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, I'm trying to write a function similar to Save, but can't find how to stop the main loop from evaluating the argument. Let's say I have the definition a=x^2 if I do Save[filename,a] the definition goes into the file, what I want is to get the definition into a variable inside my function, so I can do: MyFunction[a] and within MyFunction some variable gets assigned with a=x^2 (and not just with x^2). Is there a way of doing this? I don't like having to write MyFunction["a"]. In some way Save seems to know how to tell the system not to replace 'a' with its value. TIA Elcofres