Re: how to get a real fortran file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37391] Re: how to get a real fortran file
  • From: uhap023 at alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk (Tom Crane)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ap865o$53p$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Alessandro Agresti <alessandro.agresti at unifi.it> writes:

> the cmd FortranForm[expr] writes out expr for fortran.
> Can I also get the real fortran file, the file that it will be going to be compiled. so the file begins at
> 7-th column and ends at 72-th........

I thought FortranForm[] did this and inserted the necessary column-6
continuation markers. IIRC, FortranForm[expr] > myfile.f can require some
simple post-editing to comply with fortran's columnar formatting rules.

If your expression is at all complicated, it might be worth looking at
FortranDef (Available from
www.mathsource.com/MathSource/Enhancements/Interfacing/Fortran/0202-172/FortranDef.nb)

It optimises the expression for fortran compilation and produces nicely
formatted O/P. It is intended for use (with compilation) on Unix systems but
works fine at generating a fortran O/P file under Windows.

Tom.

posted & emailed.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email:	uhap023 at vms.rhbnc.ac.uk
SPAN:   19.875
Fax:    +44 (0) 1784 472794