Re: 3D plot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg36371] Re: 3D plot
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:56:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

the volume is 0 because you get two points

Solve[{y == 4 - x^2, y == 3x}, {x, y}]

{{y -> -12, x -> -4}, {y -> 3, x -> 1}}

{{y -> -12, x -> -4,z->20}, {y -> 3, x -> 1,z -> 5}}

To get a nonzero volume you neeed a singel implicit equation like

or you need 3 parametric equations

{ x==f[1][u,v],

If you have an implicit equation you can compute the
surface with MathGL3d's MVContourPlot3D[] (not with
the ContourPlot3D[] from the standard addons, because
you need a consistent oriented surface) and than you
can triangulate the surface an sum the signed voulmes
of the tetrahedrons build from the triangles and a
fixed point in space.

For parametric surfaces you can do the same with the