Re: Basic textual Typesetting question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36530] Re: [mg36514] Basic textual Typesetting question
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:27:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Jason Miller wrote:

> I'm pretty comfortable with some things (e.g., Mathematica's
> recognition of latex commands for most characters), and now I'm ready
> to push the envelope a bit.
>
> Q1:  How can I typeset a table or array of information (e.g., list of
> variables with definitions) so that information in one column is
> centered and information in another column is aligned flush left?  I
> know exactly how I would do this in LaTeX, but I find no information
> on how to do this in Mathematica.

See Section 2.8.11 of _The Mathematica Book_.

http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/2.8.11.html

At the beginning of that section, you will find a description of the
options that one may apply to GridBox[] objects, which are used to
construct tables, matrices, and button palettes.

More information on the values that these options may take can be found in
the front end option documentation.

http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/OtherInformation/GridBoxOptions.html

With the current selection in your notebook being the table itself, you
can use the Option Inspector dialog (with its scope set to "selection") to
change the ColumnAlignments option to {Center, Left}, which means that
first column elements should be centered, and that subsequent columns
should be left justified.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com