RE: Empirical CDF and InterpolatingFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36577] RE: [mg36555] Empirical CDF and InterpolatingFunction
  • From: "DrBob" <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have no opinion on the behavior associated with InterpolationOrder->0,
except that it should be DOCUMENTED, but isn't.

Meanwhile, try this:

lst = {{1, 1/3}, {2, 2/3}, {3, 1}};

ClearAll[empiricalCDF]
empiricalCDF[{x_List,
    y_List}] := Compile[
   {{z, _Real}}, Evaluate[
    Which @@ Flatten[
      Transpose[
       {(z < #1 & ) /@ x,
        y}]]]]

empiricalCDF[v:{{_, _}..}] :=
  empiricalCDF[v] =
   empiricalCDF[
    ({Join[#1[[1]],
        {Infinity}],
       Join[{0}, #1[[
         2]]]} & )[Transpose[
      lst]]]

empiricalCDF[lst]

Plot[empiricalCDF[lst][x], {x, 1, 3}];

I split the work into two definitions for readability.  If you evaluate:

?empiricalCDF

after doing the plot above, you'll see that empiricalCDF[{{1, 1/3}, {2,
2/3}, {3, 1}}] has been compiled and saved for later use, and that it
takes precedence over the SetDelayed rules listed after it.  Hence, the
compilation only occurs once for each list.

As written, your CompileEmpiricalCDF would be compiled all over again
every time it's used -- for each and every point you plot -- so of
course it's slow.  There are other problems, too.  For instance, the
pattern

list_?(VectorQ[#, NumericQ] &)

makes no sense at all.  Maybe you meant

list_?And[VectorQ[#],NumericQ[#]]&