Re: mathematica question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40384] Re: [mg40338] mathematica question
  • From: Omega Consulting <info at omegaconsultinggroup.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:44:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 03:35 AM 4/2/2003, TUCKER C.Y wrote:
>Hello
>I've not used a newsgroup before so I'm not sure how to get in to post
>questions,
>  but I need help with a problem in mathematica.
>  (If questions regarding mathematica are sent,
>  please could you post this question so I might get a
>reply?)
>
>Problem:
>In mathematica I want to create two or more buttons within
>a cell.
>When I press the first button I want some text (eg "correct") to appear ,
>(if possibly in same cell next to the buttons,if not in new
>cell immediately below)
>when i press another button i want the text to be written over
>  with another piece of text (eg "wrong")
>How do I set the buttons up?
>
>Thanking you
>Cheryl Tucker
>
>---------------------------------------
>TUCKER C.Y
>tk313442 at stmail.staffs.ac.uk

It just so happens that we recently released a package that does just this.
You can get a full-featured demo at

http://omegaconsultinggroup.com/Products/form/demo.html

Once you've installed the package, you can do the following:

<<FormMaker`

NotebookPut[
   MakeNotebook[
     {SubmitBox["A", SetTarget["target", "Correct"]&],
       SubmitBox["B", SetTarget["target", "Wrong"]&],
       TargetBox["target", ""]}
     ]]

A TargetBox is a target you can change. It has an identifier (or tag)
"target" and it initially contains an empty string.

A SubmitBox is a button that performs an action. So the first button has
the text "A" on its face, and when it's pressed it executes a command. In
this case, the command is SetTarget which reset the TargetBox with tag
"target" to contain the text "Correct".

There are further examples in the documentation. The package also includes
a palette for creating forms interactively.

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"
http://omegaconsultinggroup.com