thanks for the help with list - extended syntax question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40617] thanks for the help with list - extended syntax question
  • From: "Nathan Moore" <nmoore at physics.umn.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:02:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why is it in Mathematica that I can't operate on lists as if they are long
arrays(in the style of c)  It would be orders of magnitude easier or me to
just type,
    data = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2}...{xn,yn}}
and then find the desited sum like,
    for(i=0,sum=0;i<;i++) { sum += data[[i,1]]*data[[i,2]]; }

It seems idiotic that syntax like this (which most of the scientific world
would understand) is not allowed!  I hate learning new (redundant) computer
languages!!!

Nathan