Re: Mixed derivative button on basic input palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40675] Re: [mg40659] Mixed derivative button on basic input palette
  • From: Dr Bob <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:17:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You get this answer because the "box to the right" ends up containing x^3
only.  The mixed partial of that is zero, and multiplying that by y^4 gives
0.

You can do better by putting () in that box, and putting x^3 y^4 between
the parentheses.  Then you get the right answer.  It is very annoying that
the box disappears as soon as we put anything in it, and leaves us with no
way to tell what's connected to the partial derivative.  The same thing
happens with the summation symbol, etc.

PartialD is an operator, so it is supposed to bind to its nearest following
neighbor and make it the argument.  So, I'm not sure we can call this a
bug.

I do call it annoying, though.

Bobby

majort at cox-internet.com