Question about Distribute

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40733] Question about Distribute
  • From: "Ming Hsu" <hsu at charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:59:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, I have a question about the distribute function.  I was using it to find
the euclidean distance between a point and a list of points.  So I wrote the
following function

Distribute[f[{{2,1}}, points], List] /. f -> Dist

where Dist is norm[point1-point2]

My question is that why is it when I write Distribute[Dist[{{2,1}}, points],
List], mathematica complains about the first list is too short, but when I
write it with the generic function f, it works.

Thanks.

Ming