Re: Simplification of definite integral?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40719] Re: Simplification of definite integral?
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Vladimir,

that's exactly what I was looking for. I new the result beforehand. I
didn't want to go through Fourier transforms.

I observed the the main part of the work is being done by adding (none
of which can be removed)

(1) Assumptions -> d>0 and
(2) PrincipalValue -> True

which already gives

Pi * Cos[d] Sin[d] / d

I'm rather new to mathematica. And my first impression is that part of
the "art of mathematica" seems to be to guess which might be the answer
and then to find the appropriate simplification mechanisms by hand.

Thanks again
Kind regards
Wolfgang Hintze, Berlin