Re: Solving for a function in an Integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40796] Re: Solving for a function in an Integral
  • From: Raibatak Das <rd54 at cornell.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:17:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

sc -

is the right hand side a definite integral? for an indefinite integral -
the way you have posed it - the right hand side has some explicit
dependence on t (except for the special case m[t]=constant).
in that case, unless x depends on t the left hand side has no explicit t
dependence and i'm not sure if there is going to be a legitimate
solution. on the other hand, if x does depend on t and one knows the
dependence then one could rewrite the entire equation in terms of x and
solve it.

i'm not sure if this is helpful at all, but if you could give a more
specific case then it might be possible to try and figure out
mathematica code to solve the problem.

- rd.

Steven Clarke wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I'm wondering if there is a way to solve for a function within an integral.
>
>Specificly, I have something like this:
>
>d[x] == Integrate[Sin[x + m[t]],t]
>
>so I have function d, dependent on x, which is equal to the integral of
>sin[x + m[t]] with respect to t, when m[t] is a function of t.
>
>It looks sort of like a differential equation, but not really, and DSolve
>didn't like it.  I thought about taking the derivative of both sides with
>respect to t, but then the d[x] just goes completely away, and that can't
>work.
>
>Is this problem mathmatically possible, and if so, what kind of problem is
>it (ie, ODE, Partial Differential Equations, something else) so I can go
>look up a book on those types of problems, and finally, can Mathmatica solve
>this type of problem?
>
>Thanks
>
>Steve

* /Raibatak Das / *
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University.
Ithaca, NY 14853.
Ph : 1-607-255-6141
email : rd54 at cornell.edu <mailto:rd54 at cornell.edu>