Writing Applications for Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41022] Writing Applications for Mac OS X
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:24:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have written an application that involves packages, a style sheet, a
palette, and a sets of notebooks grouped in Chapters. I used the following
file structure, which I put in my AddOns\Applications folder on a Windows
system.

ComplexAnalysis\
	package1.nb
	package1.m
	package2.nb
	package2.m
	Chapter 1\
		notebook1.nb
		notebook2.nb
	FrontEnd\
		Palettes\ComplexAnalysisPalette.nb
		StyleSheets\ComplexAnalysisStyle/nb

This works find for me. The notebooks have access to the packages and the
style sheet, and the palette is in the Palettes menu. I zipped it all up and
sent it to a friend working with Mac OS 9. It worked fine for him. I also
sent it to another friend who is working with Mac OS X. He said

"OK, but I don't know how to open the notebook from there. AddOns is
*hidden* in OS X, and ComplexAnalysis doesn't show up in the
Mathematica Index. That's why I'm running it from the extra copy on my
desktop, which is not a problem so far."

Apparently he can't get at the notebooks. What is the proper method to
assemble an "application" so it can be run on Mac OS X?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/