RuleCondition vs Condition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42983] RuleCondition vs Condition
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 00:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 09:16 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> This is, of course, the key to the difference between Condition and
> RuleCondition: they both hold their first argument but the pattern
> matcher parses it quite differently.

This is in fact wrong. The difference between Condition and
RuleCondition is not due to "parsing" but mainly due to the fact that :

Condition[x,True]

x/;True

RuleCondition[x,True]

I feel that RuleConditon ought to be a documented function since it can
be very useful in many cases where Condition is hard to use precisely
because of the above property.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/