how to specify something is "real"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43161] how to specify something is "real"
  • From: "pgp" <bla at bla.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:27:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
This is probably a dumb question, but I was trying to use Conjugate[] on an
expression that contains terms like Cos[x], and mathematica doesn't take it
for granted that Cos[x] is real, and hence the end result contain lots of
Conjugate's that can't be reduced.
Could someone tell me if it's possible to tell mathematica which parts of
the expressions are supposed to be real, so it'll get rid of all those
Conjugates?
Thanks a lot.
-K