Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43169] Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...
  • From: mathieu_mcphie at yahoo.com.au (Mathieu McPhie)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello friendly helpers and knowledgable personages,

I'm sure this is a problem encountered (and answered) before. And it
is just one of the many I have encountered with this drat perverse
progam. Anyway ...

The following two commands (this is an extremely cut down version of
my problem so try and be general)

Plot[Sin[x]/x, {x, 0, 1}]
Plot3D[y*Sin[x]/x, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

The first works perfectly, correctly going toward the limit at x=0 of
1.

For the second I get ...

Power::infy : Infinite expression 1/0. encountered.

\[Infinity]::indet : Indeterminate expression 0. ComplexInfinity
encountered.

Plot3D::plnc: y*Sin[x]/x is neither a machine-size real number at
{x,y}={0., 0.} nor a list of a real number and a valid color
directive.

Please explain, Vielin Dank, Mathieu McPhie