Triangle Plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43224] Triangle Plots
  • From: de11 at columbia.edu (David Epstein)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:25:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathematica experts:

I'd like to plot a function that's only defined for points on an
equilateral triangle (the 2-dimensional simplex). So I'd like to
produce a 3-D surface (or a contour plot) of function values for x-y
coordinates in the triangle, not in the usual box or grid.

Is there a way to do this? I can fudge it by defining the function to
be some base value for all x-y pairs not in the triangle using
Condition (/;) statements, but I'd like to be able to do it directly.

Thanks for any help,

David Epstein