Re: How does MathReader work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43359] Re: [mg43337] How does MathReader work?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:13:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathReader is purely a notebook reader (with support for a few minor
things like Find and Print).  It is unable to change or evaluate the
contents of a notebook.

Your idea of allowing Mathematica to evaluate contents in an existing
notebook is interesting.  I don't think, though, that it's very practical
in the short term.  One of the big advantages to MathReader is that it is
a much smaller download than Mathematica (11 megabytes vs. 85 megabytes),
which makes it accessible to a larger set of people.  The reason it's so
much smaller is that we omit the entire kernel and all of its support
files, along with much of the documentation.

I don't agree that, in the modern world, notebooks with graphics and
output are so generally unwieldy as to make them inappropriate to transmit
to others; although, I can certainly understand how a very
graphics-intensive notebook could be a problem.  There are possibilities
(none fantastic) for reducing the size of graphics.  You could, for
example, convert the graphics to bitmap, which throws away all of the
PostScript data and is good for complex graphics, but you'd lose
resolution-independence for printing, export, or copy/paste.

Any way, things change, and perhaps some day we'll get to the point where
a ~40 megabyte download (my guess for how much kernel plus FE minus
documentation might take up) isn't such a big deal, and we might decide in
such a world that a MathReader closer to what you desire is reasonable.  I
can't make any predictions for if or when it might happen, but I can hint
that it's not an implausible direction for a future MathReader.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group