Mathematica refuses to evaluate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43378] Mathematica refuses to evaluate?
  • From: Jonathan Greenberg <greenberg at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:05:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm getting an odd problem under both Mathematica 4.1 and 5.0 -- sometimes,
and it seems pretty random, when I go to evaluate a notebook cell,
Mathematica will just "refuse" to evaluate it.  There will be no output, no
error message, nothing -- shift-enter and zero response.  Not even the first
line of that particular section gets evaluated (even if its something as
simple as Print["Please work"];

As I said, this behavior is pretty random, and reboots, restarts of
Mathematica, etc do not seem to take care of it.  Any suggestions?

--j