Re: Scoping, named patterns, local vs global variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44886] Re: Scoping, named patterns, local vs global variables
  • From: Oliver Friedrich <oliver.friedrich at tzm.de>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:31:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

frankeye at cox.net (Frank Iannarilli) wrote in
news:bqmqus$r95$1 at smc.vnet.net:

> Summary punchline:
>
> x=1;
> f[x_]=x^2;
> In: f[3]
> Out: 1  (and not 3^2=9, since x is global)

Hallo Frank,

I'm wondering which version you use. I checked out your example above in
4.2 and I've got the result which we all expect and that is according to
the desired behaviour written in the handbook, i.e the x as pattern name
is treated local.

I'm keen on knowing the answer to your problem

Oliver Friedrich