Solve Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44942] Solve Function
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 04:01:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Everyone,

I've got a question about the Solve function.  I read in the
Mathematica Book that Solve can handle a set of simultaneous equations
(page 88) and that the syntax for the function is to list each equation
followed by the variables to solve for.  What if all of the equations
have the same form, say, because they're constraints in the first-order
conditions of an optimization?  I'm wondering whether Solve can handle
a neater specification in matrix form, something along the lines of

Solve[f[x]==g[x], x],

where x is a vector of variables {x1, x2, x3, ... , xn}.  It would save
a lot of typing.  I've tried to feed solve a variable defined as an
array, but I keep getting errors to the effect that the equation is not
well formed.

	Greg