Re: DSolve Not Working

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44954] Re: DSolve Not Working
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 04:02:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

EVERY DAY, we hear DSolve isn't working.

You didn't get that output from that input.

DSolve[y''[x]==ay'[x]+y[x],y,x]

{{y -> Function[{x},
     E^x*C[1] + C[2]/E^x +
      (E^(2*x)*Integrate[
          ((1/2)*Derivative[
          1][ay][K$1927])/
          E^K$1927, {K$1927,
          K$1928, x}] +
        Integrate[(-(1/2))*
          E^K$2236*
          Derivative[1][ay][
          K$2236], {K$2236,
          K$2237, x}])/E^x]}}

You omitted a space between a and y on the right side of the equation,
leading to this strange result.

The input you actually used was probably

DSolve[y''[x] == a y/x + y[x], y, x]

which returns the output in your post. On the other hard, copying and
pasting from Help gives:

DSolve[y''[x] == a y'[x] + y[x], y, x]

{{y -> Function[{x},
     E^((1/2)*(a - Sqrt[