Mathematica 5 hangs when rendering plots with large numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45013] Mathematica 5 hangs when rendering plots with large numbers
  • From: Alejandro Luque <btpa16 at btp5x36.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 06:05:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  I have Mathematica 5 running on a SuSE Linux with XFree86 v11.0.  My
problem arises whenever I try to plot a graph with large numbers.  For
example

ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {1*^6, 2}}]

  Then Mathematica hangs while rendering this plot.  It stays
(apparently) forever saying Running...Rendering...Untitled-1 and I
have no way to stop it without killing the whole Mathematica.  If I
take a look at the processor activity I see that is the X server who
is taking all the processor time.  What is it doing?  Is this a
problem of Mathematica or of the X server?  Have somebody experienced the
same problem?  BTW, if I write instead

P = ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {1*^6, 2}}, DisplayFunction->Identity]
Export["p.eps", P]

the EPS file is generated flawlessly and can be viewed without
problems outside Mathematica.

I have also made some 'experiments' (I have to admit that I'm a
physicist) and found that the maximum number that can be plotted lies
around 975609.78. Any idea about what does it mean?

Best regards for all.
--
----
Alejandro Luque