RE: Re: Maybe it's me but the integrator at wolfram doesn't work very well

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45012] RE: [mg45003] Re: Maybe it's me but the integrator at wolfram doesn't work very well
  • From: "Owen, HL (Hywel)" <H.L.Owen at dl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 06:05:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The integrator tool is at: http://integrals.wolfram.com/

The integrator does NOT botch the integral: if you enter 'Log[x]' into the
form on the page, it gives the correct answer. I'm guessing you entered 'ln
x'. If you read the help at: http://integrals.wolfram.com/about/input/ (by
clicking on the link 'How to enter your input', it explains how to input
functions.

The basic confusion here is because traditional mathematical notation is
poor, and ambiguous. Brackets () are used for both functions and collecting
terms. Mathematica does it right, by using () for collecting terms, and []
for functions. And of course, you have to use the right syntax for the
function name, like in any other program.

As always, read the instructions!

Hywel