Slide show presentations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45066] Slide show presentations
  • From: Goyder Dr HGD <H.Goyder at rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:48:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I make a slide show using Mathematica and the Mathematica Slide Show palette
on my laptop at home.
I then fly with my laptop to the other side of the world, plug into the
projection system and attempt to show my presentation.

The problems
1. How do I ensure that my presentation will fit the screen?
2. How do I know what font size to use when making the presentation?
3. How do I stop myself putting too many lines on a slide when constructing
the slide?
4. How do I stop myself making graphics that are too wide or too tall?

In general how do I know that when I make my presentation it will be the
same size as the screen onto which it is projected and not either a postage
stamp size or too big for the screen?

Microsoft PowerPoint is good at giving you a preview and then mapping the
slide you have made into the projection system (but a disaster with
equations). Mathematica does not enable you to do this.

The only rule for making slides, I know, is that you can have a maximum of
ten lines per slide.

I can vary the following:

My font size. Note difficulty with text in graphics.
My screen area - using the Windows Control Panel / Display Properties /
Screen Area (typical size 1024 by 768).
The size of the notebook - bottom bar of window.

Should I use the Mathematica SlideShow environment or is the Mathematica
Presentation environment better?

What approach should I take if I am not to have a presentation disaster?

Thanks for any comments.

Hugh Goyder

dangerous content by the Cranfield MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.