Re: A Method to Simplify Matrix Entry?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45133] Re: A Method to Simplify Matrix Entry?
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:54:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There are lots of quick and easy ways to enter matrices built into the
Mathematica Front End!

You can find some way of them in the Help Browser by selecting Getting
Started and entering "Matrix" or reading Section 1.10.5 in the Mathematica
book.

In general the Getting Started/Entering Mathematical Notation section in the
Help Browser is one of the first things to read when you start with
Mathematica.

What I usually do is
    type an opening-closing pair of ordinary parentheses ().
    Place the cursor between them and type the first element of my matrix,
a, say
    Hit Ctrl-, to add a column, type another element ..
    Hit Ctrl-Enter to add a row, ....
   Tab or Shift-Tab around the element placeholders or use the mouse.

Or use the matrix template button on the Basic Input Palette ...

John Jowett

news:brmqpb$ocq$1 at smc.vnet.net...