Re: a bug in RealDigits? Mathematica 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45235] Re: a bug in RealDigits? Mathematica 5.0
  • From: Dr Bob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:13:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

IMHO the only way to entirely eliminate the mismatch between machine
precision and numbers with other precisions is not to use the machine's
floating point arithmetic at all. For most purposes -- perhaps all of MY
purposes -- that might be acceptable. But some people sometimes want (or
need?) the speed machine arithmetic allows.

One option is to make it more explicit what we're doing when we enter a
number -- by REQUIRING us to specify how many digits we want to trust. But
that can be simply inconvenient.

In this case, all Steve needed to do was add a 0 at the end.

Bobby