Printing "Alias" Definitions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45279] Printing "Alias" Definitions
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 05:00:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Group:

In Windows Mathematica 5.0 Help, the following definition is given for
Alias ...

    This shows an intended use of Alias.

    In[2]:=
    	Alias["y", z]
    Out[2]=
    In[3]:=
    Out[3]=

The following Notebook excerpt displays my use of "ff" for "FullForm"

    In[1]:=
    	Alias["ff", FullForm]
    Out[1]=
    	FullForm
    In[2]:=
    	x + y // ff
    Out[2]//FullForm=
    	FullForm[x + y]

If I write code like this (faster to type "ff" than "FullForm"), and
show the Notebook to someone else, I want "ff" changed to "FullForm"
in In[2] before Mathematica prints Out[2].

Can anyone suggest a way to modify Alias to accomplish this?

I have tried text replacement utilities (e.g. QuicKeys, RoboType) to
automatically convert text aliases to Mathematica-known strings, but
the Front End always chokes on the alias replacement string, and
produces unpredictable results.

Thanks.
Harold