Re: Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45289] Re: Compile
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 05:10:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I understand why Plot[Random[],{x,0,1}] and Plot[Evaluate@Random[],{x,0,1}] result in clearly different plots. And these two do illustrate the arguements to plot are evaluated differently than arguments to other functions.

> The argument that the effect of Compiled
> might change for some more complicated expressions is just
> speculation. I can make up a more complicated construct, like

The only real difference I see between a simple expression and a complicated expression is when the simple expression consists of a fundamental function (one not written in Mathematica code) there really isn't anything for Compiled to do. Consequently, I was pointing out I would expect Plot[Random[],{x,0,1},Compiled->True] to result in the same plot as Plot[Random[],{x,0,1},Compiled->False], i.e., Compiled should not make a difference. So, I do not understand what relationship these examples have to do with the point you are making. In fact, I don't really see a problem.